We have recently read a very interesting article from Bupa recently all about tips to avoid tooth staining: https://www.bupa.co.uk/Newsroom/OurViews/teeth-staining-foods
Tooth whitening from your Dentist and Orthodontic treatments with a specialist Orthodontist are a fantastic ways of achieving that straight bright smile- but here’s some helpful tips on how to keep that look!
So what causes staining?
(here comes the science)
It is compounds called chromogens which give certain foods and drinks their strong colour, and which can stain our teeth. Foods and drinks containing a substance called tannin can also make your teeth much more susceptible to staining. Acids can wear down your teeth, increasing the chances of stains setting in. In general, if something could stain your clothes or your tongue, the chances are it’s also going to stain your teeth.
Top 10 culprits:
1. Tea and coffee.
2. Red wine.
4. Fruit juices.
5. Tomato-based sauces.
7. Balsamic vinegar.
8. Soy sauce.
What can you do about tooth staining?
Although certain things can make you more prone to staining, the biggest factor by far is poor oral hygiene.
Having teeth that are crowded and difficult to reach can make it harder to clean, lots of our patients come to us to have Orthodontic treatment as staining can be a real problem for them- having straight teeth can make such a difference!
Here are a few simple measures you can take to help keep your teeth sparkling white.
- Reduce the amount of staining foods or drinks when you can- Could you substitute a normal cup of tea for something else?
- Rinse your mouth with water after eating or drinking something that may stain your teeth.
- Use a straw when drinking cold drinks like cola or juice that may stain your teeth- this is my favorite tip!
- Chewing gum
- Eat plenty of crunchy fruit and veg,
- Make sure you’re brushing your teeth twice a day, and as recommended by your dentist.
- See your dentist or hygienist as frequently as they advise.
We are currently offering a FREE Orthodontic consultation here at Teethinline
If you require more information on this subject or wish to find out more about our Orthodontic treatments that we offer here at Teethinline please feel free to contact us on 01908 399980 / 01908 619060 or email us at: email@example.com or look at our websites: https://teethinline.co.uk/ https://invisiblebracesmk.co.uk/