Out of Hours Emergency Treatment Service
Outside of these hours we use Milton Keynes out-of-hours emergency treatment service to help patients who are experiencing any of the following symptoms only:
- Facial Swelling
- Trauma (blow to the mouth, bleeding, swelling). NB. If the tooth is knocked out of socket replace immediately or place underneath the tongue until you can receive urgent dental treatment.
- Ulcers which have not healed within 2 weeks.
- Excessive pain that cannot be managed with regular pain relief medication.
- Wire digging in and causing severe ulceration or bleeding.
- If the appliance be causing a risk or hazard to your breathing or air ways.
The telephone number for emergency out-of-hours dental treatment is 01908 201022. Please note that as this is an emergency service, you will only be given an appointment if you meet the criteria above.
Other problems which may present you with discomfort and manageable pain do not normally require urgent emergency medical treatment. If you experience any of the following problems, please call the practice and leave us a message and we will get back to you as soon as the practice re-opens to arrange an appointment for you:
- Wire digging in, loose or broken.
- Bracket off.
- Broken or lost retainer.
Please do not call the hour of hour’s emergency service for any of these problems as they will decline to see you and refer you back to the practice. If you are overly concerned, you can call NHS Direct or your regular dentist for advice.
Some tips to help you if you should experience a problem;
- For ulcers or discomfort from your appliance, we recommend you use a regular pain relief medication and continually rinse around the problem area with medicated mouthwash or salt water solution until you can see the orthodontist. Try to keep the area free from food debris and limit chewing on this side of your mouth.
- If you have a wire digging in or rubbing your gums, press a piece of orthodontic wax into the offending bracket or onto the end of the wire and this will ease the problem.
- You can also use orthodontic pain relief gel to ease pain.
- If a bracket should fall off and your wire comes loose, please don’t worry about keeping safe until you can see us as we will replace it for you.
Please also read out fact sheets provided with your treatment as they offer helpful hints and tips to manage your orthodontic appliance.
From time to time you may experience a problem with your orthodontic appliance or some pain/discomfort. Here at Teeth-in-line, our intention to resolve problems and alleviate these symptoms for you as quickly as possible.
Our normal practice hours are: